Friday, 3 July 2015

Witch Hunter by Virginia Boecker

Witch Hunter
by Virginia Boecker


Summary: Sixteen-year-old Elizabeth Grey doesn't look dangerous. A tiny, blonde, wisp of a girl shouldn't know how to poison a wizard and make it look like an accident. Or take out ten necromancers with a single sword and a bag of salt. Or kill a man using only her thumb. But things are not always as they appear. Elizabeth is one of the best witch hunters in Anglia and a member of the king's elite guard, devoted to rooting out witchcraft and bringing those who practice it to justice. And in Anglia, the price of justice is high: death by burning.

When Elizabeth is accused of being a witch herself, she's arrested and thrown in prison. The king declares her a traitor and her life is all but forfeit. With just hours before she's to die at the stake, Elizabeth gets a visitor - Nicholas Perevil, the most powerful wizard in Anglia. He offers her a deal: he will free her from prison and save her from execution if she will track down the wizard who laid a deadly curse on him.

As Elizabeth uncovers the horrifying facts about Nicholas's curse and the unwitting role she played in its creation, she is forced to redefine the differences between right and wrong, friends and enemies, love and hate... and life and death.
I have kind of mixed feelings about the book. I went into it expecting it to be great but I didn't love this book quite as much as I thought I was going to, but in the end I did enjoy it.

It started off well -- I loved the writing, the world, the characters but then about 6 chapters in it started to go downhill.

It started with the main character, I liked her a lot in the beginning but then she got really annoying, she was ridiculously naive and ignorant (which was understandable to a certain extend but also irritating to read about) and by the time she started to grow on me again I just felt this disconnect from her and her relationships to the other characters. Like I was entertained by the story but not really emotionally invested in it.

I wasn't really a fan of the pacing, and the plot -- the plot was enjoyable enough but it didn't really bring anything new to the table, it was all just shades of things I've seen before in other books in this genre. The only thing I really hated was something that happens near the beginning, it mentions something happening to her but it's just used as a plot device to get her put in prison then it's barely mentioned again -- I wish it had been handled better than it was.

The side characters were my favourite part really, they pretty much stole the show in any scenes they were in, especially in the second half of the book -- they are the main thing that kept me reading and the biggest reason I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Basically, I liked the book, it just didn't quite live up to expectations. I'd rate it 3 stars out of 5.

Later.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm, I was looking forward to this one, but a lot of people didn't like it - think I'll go in with low expectations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably a good idea -- not that it's a particularly bad book, but it's better to be pleasantly surprised than to expect amazing only to be disappointed. I wish I hadn't expected so much of it. =P

      Delete
  2. This book sounds so fantastic. Ugh. I hate it when the blurb sounds good but the content isn't. When I read it, I won't go in with high expectations. Thanks. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully for you it will be as good as it sounds, it just wasn't for me. :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.