Monday, 31 August 2015

The Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window by Kirsty Moseley

The Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window
by Kirsty Moseley


Summary: Amber Walker and her older brother, Jake, have an abusive father. One night her brother's best friend, Liam, sees her crying and climbs through her bedroom window to comfort her. That one action sparks a love/hate relationship that spans over the next eight years. Liam is now a confident, flirty player who has never had a girlfriend before. Amber is still emotionally scarred from the abuse she suffered at the hands of her father. Together they make an unlikely pair. Their relationship has always been a rocky one, but what happens when Amber starts to view her brother's best friend a little differently? And how will her brother, who has always been a little overprotective, react when he finds out that the pair are growing closer?
This is one of those books that has been on my Kindle for years (after being recommended by someone on Goodreads then swayed by a lot of positive reviews), and I wanted to love it because it sounded like a cute concept (the window part) and the summary mentioned the love/hate thing which is one of my go-to cliches when I'm in a reading slump.

But... Well, I really didn't like the book. At all. Interesting premise, not very good in the execution.

It started off okay (well, if I ignore the first chapter/prologue written unconvincingly from the POV of Amber when she's 8 years old), but it went downhill quite quickly.

I just -- I wasn't a fan of the writing at all, which is something I can overlook in a book if there are other things I enjoy enough but that wasn't the case here.

The characters were just... I don't know, it's hard to put into words what I didn't like about them. There was just this immaturity about them, and the way they were written, that bugged me. They were really cliche in really annoying ways. Not even just the main characters, but all of them, the side characters were more like caricatures -- especially the ones we're not supposed to like.

And I really, really didn't like the girl hate in the book, or the slut shaming.

The romance was a let down. Like I said, the love/hate thing is a cliche that I enjoy reading -- it's fun and awesome when it's done right, but it was barely even a thing in this book...the "hate" is only really present for a couple of chapters, then it jumps right into being one of those really obnoxious, saccharine relationships that somehow manages to be simultaneously immature and too grown-up to the point where it wasn't believable. There was none of the slow-burn awesomeness that the love/hate cliche normally has.

One of the biggest issues I had with the book was the way the abuse storyline was handled. There are books out there that can write about abuse with the sensitivity it deserves, but it didn't feel like this one did that -- it was just handled really badly and often felt like it was just being used as a plot device.

Basically, I kind of hated the book. Partially because I just didn't like it (writing, characters, plot, etc.), partially because it pushed the "THIS IS VERY PROBLEMATIC!" button a few times too many, and a little bit because it just didn't live up to expectations.

I'd rate it 1.5 stars out of 5. But, like I said at the beginning of the review, I did see a lot of positive reviews so perhaps it will work better for you than it did for me.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.