Friday, 11 September 2015

Oblivion by Kelly Creagh

This is the third and final book in the Nevermore trilogy, so spoilers for the first two books will be in the summary (review is spoiler free).
Oblivion
by Kelly Creagh
Summary: This electrifying conclusion to the Nevermore trilogy takes one last trip to the dream world of Edgar Allan Poe to reveal the intertwined fates of Isobel and Varen.

The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins? —Edgar Allan Poe

The fine line between life and death blurred long ago for Isobel Lanley. After a deadly confrontation with Varen in the dreamworld, she’s terrified to return to that desolate and dangerous place. But when her nightmares resume, bleeding into reality, she is left with no choice. Varen’s darkness is catching up to her. To everything. Threatening to devour it all.

Isobel fears for her world. For her sanity and Varen’s—especially after a fresh and devastating loss. To make matters worse, the ghostly demon Lilith wants Varen for her own, and she will do anything to keep him in her grasp—anything.

Can Isobel ever find her happy ending? Worlds collide and fates are sealed in this breathtaking finale to the Nevermore trilogy. 
I'm not sure what to say about this book really, because it's hard to untangle my thoughts on the series as a whole and just judge this book on its own merit.

The first book in the series? It's one of my favourite books... The second book was kind of disappointing, it didn't quite have the same spark that the first one did but the last bit of the book was great. And this one, the final book in the trilogy --  well, it was more like the second book. It was kind of disappointing (unfortunately without the having an awesome ending like the second one to make up for its faults).

The problem is, I'm not sure if it was underwhelming and disappointing because the book just wasn't great or if the problem was that we had to wait about three years for it to be released -- that is way too long to wait for closure on a series, and because the wait was so long, I had high expectations for the book and it just didn't live up to them at all.

The writing was still excellent, the characters were still awesome and I adored them. I still loved the Poe stuff woven into the story and I still think it's incredibly original and creative...but -- something about it fell kind of flat. There were some moments that I really loved (scenes with Isobel and Varen or any scene involving Pinfeathers) but in general it was really slow and way too drawn out with an ending that felt abrupt and anticlimactic considering the build up to it.

Maybe that was the problem -- everything about it was too dragged out, from the time we had to wait for it being released, to the story itself and I just didn't have the patience for it. With the first book, I couldn't put it down but with this one it was a struggle to keep reading (I think I put it down about 10 times? I had to force myself to pick it up again each time just so I could be done with it).

It's not a bad book, as negative as this review sounds, but it doesn't measure up to the expectations set by the first book. I don't know if it would've been different had I read the books closer together (the release dates were: 2010, 2012, 2015).

If I had to sum up my reading experience with this book in one word: underwhelming.

Sorry, this review is quite rambling -- it's just hard to sort out my thoughts on this one unfortunately.

Overall, I do still consider this series one of my favourites, just because the first book was excellent but it's one of those series that goes downhill... It's doesn't ever become bad, even at their worst the second and third books were still decent, they just aren't particularly great.

I'd rate this book 3 stars out of 5. The series as a whole gets 4 stars out of 5.

Later.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree. I loved Nevermore but Oblivion felt so dragged out and long and just seemed to be lacking that cannot stop reading element.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.