Tuesday, 22 September 2015

Queen of Shadows by Sarah J Maas

Note: This is the 4th book in the Throne of Glass series, so there'll be spoilers for previous books in the summary.

Queen of Shadows
by Sarah J Maas
Summary: Everyone Celaena Sardothien loves has been taken from her. But she's at last returned to the empire—for vengeance, to rescue her once-glorious kingdom, and to confront the shadows of her past...

She will fight for her cousin, a warrior prepared to die just to see her again. She will fight for her friend, a young man trapped in an unspeakable prison. And she will fight for her people, enslaved to a brutal king and awaiting their lost queen's triumphant return.
This series... It's one of my all time favourites and it is so good to read a series where it just keeps getting better and better with each book. With a lot of others, they start to feel dragged out or the books mid-series feel like they're just filler books to bridge the gap between the beginning and the end -- that doesn't happen with these books at all, each one feels necessary and is awesome in its own right.

Basically, I loved Queen of Shadows. It didn't disappoint me at all and it was well worth the wait. Even though it had a few alternating perspectives (pet peeve of mine), it didn't bother me -- actually, I loved that about it, I love how much more complex the world in the story is becoming, I loved the new characters it introduced and seeing the growth of the ones we already know. I love that the characters I'd least expect to like turned into favourites, I just -- I love it. Yes.

One of my favourite things about the way Sarah J Maas writes is that she isn't afraid to make characters unlikeable -- even fan favourite characters have total asshole moments, and I love that because it made them feel more human, more realistic, because sometimes they're wrong and sometimes they make mistakes.

It's the same with the romance, she's not afraid to tear fan favourite ships apart... Often in books there will be this one couple that is clearly meant to be endgame but the couples in this series -- again, it's realistic, they fall for each other and sometimes it sticks, sometimes life gets in the way, sometimes their feelings change or they change and things end and they move on and find someone else that makes their heart beat faster...and I really, really like that. I like that I can't predict who will be together in the end.

The only issue, and it is a very minor one at that, that I had with the book (and the previous book) is the way love triangles are resolved by having the rejected person move onto someone else quite quickly and it becomes very obvious from the moment certain characters are introduced that they are there to be the person the rejected party moves on with (and when it's not resolved that way, it's resolved by killing a character off before a love triangle can happen).

I did say that I like that the couples don't necessarily stay together and that they move on, but having the characters move on so quickly and round about the same time seems like a too-neat way of wrapping it up. I'd like it more if it happened more gradually, if these new characters were introduced and developed as just characters instead of their introduction seeming kind of contrived so they can help other characters move on.

But, like I said, it's only a minor issue.

The book was over 600 pages long but it didn't bore me at all. If you haven't read this series yet then give it a try. I'd rate the book (and the series in general) 5 stars out of 5.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.