Tuesday, 29 September 2015

Twilight: The Graphic Novel, Volume 1

Twilight: The Graphic Novel
Volume 1
by Stephenie Meyer & Young Kim


Summary: When Isabella Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks and meets the mysterious, alluring Edward Cullen, her life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. With his porcelain skin, golden eyes, mesmerizing voice, and supernatural gifts, Edward is both irresistible and impenetrable. Up until now, he has managed to keep his true identity hidden, but Bella is determined to uncover his dark secret...
So... Twilight and I have had a pretty interesting roller coaster relationship. I loved it when I first read it, then I sort of hated it when I noticed its flaws, then I sort of loved it again but the movie kind of tainted it and I then hated the last book which made me kind of resent the series a bit... Basically, a lot of flip-flopping between love and hate.

But, I think I've reached a point where I am content to consider it one of my problematic faves (and I am very, very aware of its problematic aspects so I do not need anyone to point those out to me). I've sort of wanted to reread it recently, now that I'm at that point, just to see how I'd feel about it. I couldn't really justify rereading anything though considering the size of my TBR pile... This was the next best thing.

I've found that graphic novels aren't my kind of thing in general, but I can really enjoy them if they are adaptations of novels (instead of just being graphic novels from the start) -- this kind of cemented that for me (which was another reason to read it -- to test my theory that I like adaptations).

I love the art work in this -- the illustrations really are beautiful, and I did love that it was true to the book instead of just drawing the characters based on the cast of the movie. The way hints of colour were used was really lovely, I just wish there was a little bit more of it to emphasise certain parts of some of the drawings but overall they were really beautiful and even if I'd hated the story I would be happy to have this on my shelves just for being aesthetically pleasing.

As for the story (as it is in the graphic novel, not Twilight in general) I'm not sure if I'd have liked it as much had I not already read the novel. I think it works well as a sort of companion to the novel, for people who are already fans, but on its own -- I'm just not sure and I can't tell if that's just my aversion to graphic novels in general (not nearly enough detail for my tastes) or if it was just that the text they chose to include wasn't enough to make it stand on its own.

The tl;dr version of this review is basically that I loved the artwork and I would really recommend it to people who like the books (it did give me nostalgic little echoes of the feelings I had when I first read the book back in 2006/7).

I'd rate it 4 stars out of 5 and I will definitely be checking out the others (I think that volume 2 of Twilight and the two volumes of New Moon are all that is released so far -- I don't know if they'll be doing the last two books but I hope they do).

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.