Friday, 25 September 2015

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

We Were Liars
E. Lockhart
Delacorte Press
[May 14, 2014]
ARC from friend


A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.

We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart.

Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.

I read this book a LONG time ago, but I'm trying to clear up my Netgalley backlog (because I apparently also requested it on Netgalley?) and figured I would finally get to reviewing this! I had put it off initially since Lanna's review had just gone up and I didn't want them too close...and then a year and a half later...

Initially, I had no intention of reading this book. I'd never read an E. Lockhart book, so there was no reader loyalty. And I had no idea what the book was about, so how was I supposed to get excited? Excellent word of mouth, that's how. The ARC packages were numerous and intense - my friend ended up with an extra copy, which is how I got one - and the buzz was instant from all of Lockhart's supporters. And for me, there's just something about such major pushes from publishers and the instant buzz of readers that intrigues me. I had to read it suddenly.

Oh man I'm glad I did.

The characters were rich and incredibly well built in such a short book. And the imagery Lockhart created! I'm not a very visual reader - I don't picture characters or settings and I don't do fan castings because I just don't see things very clearly - but I could see those beaches and those houses and those four teens. It was all so vivid.

And no, I didn't see any of it coming.

I had no idea that ending was coming or that I'd be so in love with it. I had no idea what was going to happen and it made it such a fascinating reading experience. I'd only ever read one other book like it (and you'll be able to read it in a couple of weeks) and it unlocked a love of unreliable narrators I didn't know I'd have. I'm still desperate for more psychological thrillers like these in YA.

This is a book that got so much hype and I know that puts people off, but it was hyped for a legit reason. It was an astounding read that sucked me in so much and I was utterly enthralled. If you haven't picked up this book or just haven't gotten to it in your TBR, you should change that ASAP.

--Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.