Tuesday, 27 October 2015

Alma Classics: The Complete Peter Pan (& Alice's Adventures in Wonderland)

I'm going to do this review a little differently than I normally would, because I've already reviewed Peter Pan before (the short version is: I absolutely adore it, it is so magical and beautiful and is one of my all time favourite stories). So... This is going to be less of a review and more of an Alma Classics appreciation post where I talk a little about what I love about these specific editions.

The thing about classics, for me, is that there are so many different editions of them out there that I can never decide which ones I want to collect. I mean, I want them to be good reading copies (not too heavy or bulky, reasonably sized text, well edited, etc.) and not be too expensive, but I also want them to look pretty on my shelves because as much as I love reading books, I guess I sort of love collecting them too. 

The Alma Classics, so far, have ticked all those boxes and more for me. I only own two so far that I was sent to review a while ago and I love them. I love the cover designs -- they're simple and lovely, they're very distinctive and suit the stories really well but they also look good when you put them side-by-side.

The Complete Peter Pan has cute little illustrations scattered throughout the book and it includes the novel, Peter Pan and Wendy, plus Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens (a prequel novel), and also the play -- the latter two I hadn't actually read before I got this book. And, it also has a lot of extra stuff at the back for younger readers (notes, a glossary, a test, etc.) so I've decided to get my niece this version for Christmas too.

Now, Alice in Wonderland... I've never actually reviewed the story of this one, so I'll start with a min-review of the story itself: all I'm going to say about it is that it's one of those stories that people will either love or hate. Personally, I loved it. I love the nonsense of it all and I love that amongst all the bizarreness and nonsense there are little quotes that jump out and seem to be dripping with deeper meaning...the kind of quotes that stick with you.

This is the Alma edition for the 150th anniversary. Again, it includes the novel and sequel and lovely illustrations. But, it also includes a copy of Lewis Carroll's handwritten Alice's Adventures Underground manuscript with his original illustrations (this is the manuscript which later became Alice's Adventure's in Wonderland)... Again, something I hadn't read before I got this edition.

Basically, I just really love these editions -- they're everything I wanted them to be, with a little something extra. 

Currently pining for these ones too so I can expand my collection (definitely going on my Christmas list):


How awesome are those covers?! I love them dfjvdk! 

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.