Saturday, 10 October 2015

Paris for One by Jojo Moyes

Paris for One
by Jojo Moyes


Summary: Nell is twenty-six and has never been to Paris. She has never even been on a weekend away with her boyfriend. Everyone knows she is just not the adventurous type.

But, when her boyfriend doesn't turn up for their romantic mini-break,
Nell has the chance to prove everyone wrong.

Alone in Paris, Nell meets the mysterious moped-riding Fabien and his group of carefree friends. Could this turn out to be the most adventurous weekend of her life?
This book is one of the £1 Quick Reads books (find more about that here) and I think it's actually the first of them that I've read. And, well, I didn't like it very much.

I picked it up because I wanted to check out the authors writing style before diving into one of her bigger books. Unfortunately, the writing style was one of the things I didn't really like much -- I'm not sure why exactly, it might have just been that I don't particularly like when a story is written in third person present tense (third person past tense? Great! First person present tense? love it? First person past tense? Why not! But this combo just irritated me).

The main character was kind of bland through the majority of the story and only seemed to develop a real spark of personality in the last quarter of the story (considering the book was less than a hundred pages, that's really not good).

Actually, the story overall was pretty bland and that was my problem with it. It was boring, it wasn't interesting, it was horribly predictable and then just as it was starting to pick up and get somewhere, it was over... It felt like the story was ending where it was really beginning. But then maybe part of my issue was just that it's a short story and they're not my kind of thing in general (I have read and liked some, but often the ones I like are featuring characters from novels I've already read).

I didn't hate it... but, I'm really hoping this story isn't a good indicator of what Jojo Moyes's books are like in general (I have two on my shelves) because it just wasn't my cup of tea at all. Although, on a more positive note, at least I've now lowered my expectations -- I've seen mostly glowing reviews of her novels and that hype could've led to major disappointment. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised now instead.

I'd rate this 1.5 stars out of 5.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.