Thursday, 22 October 2015

The Good Girls by Sara Shepard

The Good Girls
by Sara Shepard
Summary:  From Sara Shepard, author of the #1 New York Times bestselling Pretty Little Liars series, comes the shocking sequel to The Perfectionists—with an ending you'll have to read to believe!

Mackenzie, Ava, Caitlin, Julie, and Parker have done some not-so-perfect things. Even though they all talked about killing rich bully Nolan Hotchkiss, they didn't actually go through with it. It's just a coincidence that Nolan died in exactly the way they planned . . . right? Except Nolan wasn't the only one they fantasized about killing. When someone else they named dies, the girls wonder if they're being framed. Or are they about to become the killer's next targets?
I'm going to try to keep this review short and to the point, because a lot of what I have to say about it will just be repeating things I loved about the first book. And I did love this one. I'm still surprised by how much I enjoy this series because it normally wouldn't be my kind of thing -- there's just something about it that I can't help but like.

I think it is probably the female characters and their relationships with each other in particular. There's these fierce female friendships and the girls are there for each other and even when they've had arguments, they're still there for each other and I just -- kjfdhgldj! I love that. I have read way too many books this year with terrible and toxic female relationships so it's really refreshing whenever I find one that doesn't do that (and I appreciated the diversity of the girls too, from their interests to ethnicities and their parents financial situations).

And the plot of this one? It started out a bit slower and took longer to get into than the first one did but then the last third of the book more than made up for it. I sort of guessed the twist, but then I dismissed it (after flipping back through the book to check), but then it happened and it was awesome. While I suspected the twist, I didn't actually expect to be right and it's rare for a book to surprise me like that and it made me want to go back to reread the first book to pick up on things I missed.

I kind of went into this book expecting it to be really drawn out the way the PLL series had been, but I was pleasantly surprised. This book wraps up the story nicely, while still leaving the door open for the series to continue (which I really appreciate because few things frustrate me as much as a series that gets dragged out and leaves you feeling obligated to continue just for some sense of closure).

I really want to recommend this book to fans of another book, but I can't because the comparison would hint too much at the twist and it's more fun not knowing... So I won't do that. I'd rate the book 4 stars out of 5. It's a really fun book and if you want to read a book with good female friendships and a murder mystery, I'd recommend this one.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.