Tuesday, 24 November 2015

Top Ten Authors/Books I'm Thankful For

This weeks topic is a Thanksgiving themed Freebie. I'm not American, and we don't do the whole Thanksgiving thing here in Scotland but I like the sentiment of this, so I'm going to go with ten books and/or authors I'm thankful for.

These books/authors are going to be for vastly different reasons and in no particular order.

J K Rowling/Harry Potter - Kicking off the list with an obvious one. I don't think I even need to go into all the reasons I'm thankful to J K Rowling. I grew up with Harry Potter, like so many people did. I'm thankful for the impact it had on my life and the lives of so many other people. And, just... the world/reading in general really.

Melina Marchetta - For being probably my favourite author...like, if I had to choose, I think she might win. She's writes beautifully -- from the actual writing to the complex characters she creates, and the relationships, and worlds and stories. She's incredible. She's written about grief and she's written about depression and growing up, and she's written contemporary and high fantasy -- worlds I can find myself in and ones I can lose myself in. She's the kind of writer I wish I could be. 

Bram Stoker/Dracula - For being the first classic I remember falling in love with. The first one I remember picking up and reading on my own, not for school. I read this when I was about 12 and I remember I'd stay up late reading it. I haven't reread it since then, partially because I worry I won't love it as much as 12 year old me did, but it'll always be special to me for being my first classic.

Roald Dahl/Matilda - Again, like with J K Rowling, I grew up with his stories. Matilda in particular is a favourite -- this beautiful story about a little girl who loves to read, who hasn't had the best experiences or been surrounded by the best people but she still manages to see the beauty in life. It was one of those stories that gave child-Lanna a tiny spark of hope that magic exists... I'm thankful for having a character like that be a part of my childhood. Not only did Roald Dahl write stories that I grew up reading/had read to me, but my nephew read them too, and now my niece. 

John Green/Looking for Alaska - John Green is like...a household name in the YA community, but he earned a place on this list back in 2007, back before all the Youtube fame and movies and stuff. I stumbled across Looking for Alaska on someone's Myspace roleplay page and I was intrigued and I read it and...you know when you read a book at just the right time in your life? That happened with this one. I was going through stuff, the book sort of helped me make sense of some of the stuff and I'm thankful for that. 

J M Barrie/Peter Pan - For worming its way into my heart when I was little and being a story I can always go back to when I need to be reminded of a time when life was still beautiful and innocent and hadn't been broken by pain or grief or reality of growing up and being grown up.

Stephenie Meyer/Twilight - Judge me for this one all you like. Talk of Twilight's flaws, I'll probably wholeheartedly agree -- doesn't change the fact that it'll forever be a problematic fave of mine. I'm thankful for this because it made me realise that I'm content to like what I like, even if other people trash it. It's the reason this blog exists -- or at least, the reason it still exists and made it past the first year (Julie and I met through the Twilight fandom). It's also one of the first books that made me want to write a novel...I've always loved making up stories, but this one made it click with me that I want to write novels, that I want to be published someday if I write something I like enough. It also had weird, unexpected ripple effects on my life too -- my best friend met her husband because I wrote funny TwiFics for a while (long-ish story).

Eloisa James - For being the first regency romance author to make me love the genre. A lot of people have this pretentious kind of view of this genre and it really irritates me. Books are allowed to just be entertaining, they're allowed to be fun, they're allowed just to be an escape. Regency romance books can normally cheer me up no matter what mood I'm in, they're also really good at snapping me out of reading slumps. I'm so glad I realised I love this genre, and I'm not sure I would have had it not been for Eloisa's fairytale retelling's. 

Jandy Nelson and Stephen Chbosky - I'm grouping these two together because while their books are wildly different my reasons for being thankful for them are the same. They've written books that have put into words things I've thought or felt but couldn't find a way to explain on my own, they helped me make sense of things I've experienced. Their books are fantastic in general, but I'm thankful for them for being those books that make you realise that you're really not alone in your thoughts or feelings, that there are people who understand and that maybe you're actually normal in your brokenness or your sadness.

Khaled Hosseini/A Thousand Splendid Suns - For writing beautiful stories about Afghanistan, particularly the women of Afghanistan. For making my eyes open a little wider than before, for making me realise my own ignorance about certain things, for sparking a desire in me to read more stories like the ones he writes -- stories from a different perspective of history. People like me grow up and we learn about the wars our countries have fought, but only through the eyes of people like us...but the other sides of the story are important and just as valid as ours and those stories matter too and it's so important that we learn them.

So maybe the reasons weren't so different after all -- it all comes back to the fact that each of these authors has had an impact on me somehow.

What books/authors are you thankful for? :)

Later.

10 comments:

  1. Ahhhh!! I have SO MUCH LOVE for your list. :') You've listed so many of my favourite authors just afjdkslafd so many feels for Jandy Nelson, Stephen Chbosky, John Gren and Melina Marchetta!! I've only read 2 Marchetta books (shame on my Australianness) but I've been meaning to read more of hers FOREVER. AHHH Finnikin is one of my favourite books of all time. And I will never ever lose my love for Peter Pan. :') Here's my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Lumatere Chronicles books are fantastic, I forgot to mention that she also made me start really loving the high fantasy genre too with that series. I can't wait until she releases another book. =P

      Delete
  2. I am thankful for Twilight as well! Sure it is flawed and you can pick it apart in so many ways. But regardless all of that, you can't argue that we have a lot of our book friends thanks to Twilight! It's what got a lot of my book club friends interested in reading, and they are some of the most important people in my life! So yes, we should all be very thankful for Twilight :)

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely concur. J K Rowling made a whole generation fall in love with reading, but for most of us, we read those when we were young and grew up with them. Twilight...it was different, it appealed to non-readers or people who stopped reading for fun. People mock the whole "Twilight Moms" thing but so many people who don't really read or hadn't read a book in years/since high school started reading because of Twilight.

      Plus, it showed there was this demand for stories that are about women and appeal to women. I mean, the first movie? About a woman, written by a woman, script by a woman, directed by a woman and starring a woman -- which is pretty rare in Hollywood. It opened a lot of doors in publishing and in film for female driven stories.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful list--yes, thank you universe for JK Rowling and Harry Potter! They have made the world a better place. I love Dracula too--such an interesting, innovative, genre-creating book. I just read The Kite Runner and am eager to read A Thousand Splendid Suns--Hosseini is definitely a fine writer.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Thousand Splendid Suns is my favourite of his so far, my heart aches thinking about that book.

      Delete
  4. I love Khaled Hosseini, I have read all 3 of his books and though they are huge (like 400 or 500 pages) I read them mostly in 1 reading :) They're just fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, although And the Mountains Echoed didn't hook me in quite the same way as his other two (probably because I'm not the biggest fan of alternating POV's and that one had a lot more of those). Have you read the graphic novel adaptation of The Kite Runner too? It's beautiful. :)

      Delete
  5. Definitely thankful for JK Rowling and Roald Dahl, two authors who were a big part of my childhood!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/11/24/top-ten-tuesday-32/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.