Friday, 15 January 2016

New Adult on the Block: Outside the Lines by Lisa Desrochers

Outside the Lines
Lisa Desrochers
InterMix
[January 19, 2016]
egalley from publicist

As the oldest son of a Chicago crime lord, Robert Delgado always knew how dangerous life could be. With his mother dead and his father in prison, he’s taking charge of his family’s safety—putting himself and his siblings in witness protection to hide out in a backwater Florida town.

Fourth grade teacher Adri Wilson is worried about the new boy in her class. Sherm is quiet and evasive, especially when he’s around his even cagier older brother. Adri can’t help her attraction to Rob, or the urge to help them both in whatever way she can.

But the Delgados have enemies on two sides of the mob—their father’s former crew and the rival family he helped take down. It’s only a matter of time before someone finds them. And if Rob isn’t careful, Adri could end up in the crossfire...
I'm a long time lover of Lisa's books and I've known Outside the Lines was a must read for me as soon as it was announced. It definitely did not let me down!

The beginning is a bit slow and repetitive at times, but the characters drew me in immediately. Adri seems fairly straight forward as this wonderful, nurturing kind of character, but there are certain layers that aren't revealed to that right away. Rob, on the other hand, is kind of a mess and not ready to admit it. The chemistry was there right away with the two of them, but what intrigued me the most was the relationships between Rob's siblings - especially Sherm. I loved seeing how Adri and Rob interacted with Sherm and the way he changed and how that changed them. The sibling relationships and the relationship developments were so well done that I was hooked. I played the "Just One More Chapter..." game many times while reading.

As always, Lisa brought the sexy times. I mentioned that Adri and Rob had amazing chemistry from the start, but the way it built up was masterful and believable and very, very swoonworthy. It was far from a conventional romance and every once and a while, I had to side eye one or the other for making bad choices, but it all made sense - it just wasn't what I wanted. Because, really, all I wanted was all of the sexy times.

One of my favorite things about Lisa's books is how she can totally mess with you. You'd think there aren't that many twists in a romance novel, but there are when Lisa writes them. I can't say too much because pretty much all of these moments are at the end, but there were definitely aspects I didn't see coming and they make me that much more intrigued for the sequel.

Basically, if you like romance, family relationships, books with aspects you don't see coming, and/or other Lisa Desrochers novels, this is the book for you to pick up next week. And then you can join me in not-so-patiently waiting for April and book 2's release.

--Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.