Saturday, 2 January 2016

Our Top Books of 2015

Lanna:
It doesn't feel like I've had a very good reading year, it's been one reading slump after another, plus a lot of hyped books turned out to be disappointing and I didn't read many books that made it onto my favourites shelves... But there were some good ones that I really enjoyed amongst the 70-ish books I read this year.

I'm going to break the list down into groups and I'm going to bold the books that have made my general favourites list too (as in, favourites of all the books I've ever read, not just favourites of the year). The title links will take you to the goodreads pages.


Sequels that didn't disappoint me:
Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Queen of Shadows by Sarah J Maas
The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski

New series loves:
Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins
The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Standalone books:
Made for You by Melissa Marr
These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly
Girl at War by Sara Novic
Black Dove, White Raven by Elizabeth Wein
I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson

Books I finally got around to reading:
Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers


Audiobooks:
The Harry Potter audiobook narrated by Stephen Fry is fantastic. 
And I really, really loved the audiobook of Code Name Verity.


And a few honourable mentions:


  • All the Rage by Courtney Summers & This is Where it Ends by Marieke Nijkamp - The reason they didn't make the list was because, well... They were both really good books, but I had some issues with them and they're two of the books that got some of the most hype this year but fell just short of measuring up to the hype for me. But, like I said, they were really good books and they have important subject matter, so they deserve to be mentioned.
  • First & Then by Emma Mills - Didn't make the main list because it's one of those ones I really enjoyed reading, but it was forgettable and minor annoyances with the book became bigger issues in hindsight.

  • The Perfectionists and The Good Girls by Sara Shepard - This duology (at least I think the second was the last) surprised me with how much I enjoyed it. It was really fun and had good female characters/relationships and a twist I didn't see coming.
And I think that's it. What are your bookish highlights from 2015?

Later.

Julie:
I also had a very weird relationship with reading this year. I had a MASSIVE reading slump that lasted most of the second half of the year. When I moved (...three times in a 4 month span), I kept losing my designated reading spaces and times and schedules and that threw me off a lot. It's hard to want to read without a comfortable reading space, you know?

I did, however, read enough to have a couple of separate lists. Because the books I did read? Pretty stellar. This is going to be MOSTLY books I read this year, but may also include some 2015 releases I read last year, since they didn't count towards the 2014 list.

Top YA Titles
1. The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord 
2. All Fall Down by Ally Carter
3. The Last Time We Say Goodbye by Cynthia Hand
4. Tracked by Jenny Martin
5. Bloodlines by Richelle Mead (I'm gonna cheat and say the whole series since I did read them all in 2015)
6. The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
7. Hold Me Like a Breath by Tiffany Schmidt
8. The Fixer by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
9. Dumplin' by Julie Murphy
10. Pretending to be Erica by Michelle Painchaud
11. Rebel Mechanics by Shanna Swendson
12. Rules for 50/50 Chances by Kate McGovern
13. The Conspiracy of Us by Maggie E. Hall
14. Written in the Stars by Aisha Saeed
15. The Cage by Megan Shepherd

Top Non-YA Titles
1. The Viscount Who Lived Down the Lane by Elizabeth Boyle 
2. Say Yes to the Marquess by Tessa Dare
3. The Royal We by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan 
4. Beautiful Secret by Christina Lauren
5. Put Up Your Duke by Megan Frampton
6. Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson
7. Uprooted by Naomi Novik
8. Falling Into Bed with a Duke by Lorraine Heath
9. Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
10. Troublemaker by Leah Remini

YA That Deserved More Love
1. Made You Up by Francesca Zappia
2. None of the Above by I.W. Gregorio
3. The Boy Next Door by Katie VanArk
4. The Broken Hearts Club of Suite 17C by Leigh Ann Kopans
5. All the Rage by Courtney Summers
6. Loop by Karen Akins
7. Silver in the Blood by Jessica Day George
8. Court of Fives by Kate Elliot
9. Trouble is a Friend of Mine by Stephanie Tromly
10. Dreamstrider by Lindsay Smith
11. The Accident Season by Moira Fowley-Doyle
12. Last Year's Mistake by Gina Ciocca
13. Nightfall by Jake Halpern and Peter Kujawinski
14. A Thousand Nights by E.K. Johnston
15. The Boy Most Likely To by Huntley Fitzpatrick

For someone who had a slump, I KNOW listing 40 books seems pretty impressive. BUT, I read 6 of these in 2014. And, as I mentioned, I read a lot of really good books this year. And, next year looks really promising.

2016 Releases I've Read and Loved
1. No Baggage by Clara Bensen
2. This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp 
3. The Shadow Queen by C.J. Redwine
4. Firsts by Laurie Elizabeth Flynn
5. Traitor Angels by Anne Blankman

So, it was a pretty stellar reading year, quality wise. And I'm so excited for 2016, because it seems a lot more promising. I've realized I need more breaks from YA these days and more variety in what I'm reading - I'm on a string of historical books at the moment and I'm THRILLED with them and have been blasting through pretty quickly. And I'm more settled in to one place and I'll be traveling solo a lot more this year so, yes. A perfect storm for more reading of the many excellent books coming out. I hope you all had an excellent reading 2015 and get to have an excellent reading 2016!

--Julie

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh, I want to read The Shadow Queen -- glad it made the list. Hope there's no slumps in 2016!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.