Tuesday, 12 January 2016

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Red Queen
by Victoria Aveyard


Summary: This is a world divided by blood – red or silver.

The Reds are commoners, ruled by a Silver elite in possession of god-like superpowers. And to Mare Barrow, a seventeen-year-old Red girl from the poverty-stricken Stilts, it seems like nothing will ever change.

That is, until she finds herself working in the Silver Palace. Here, surrounded by the people she hates the most, Mare discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy the balance of power.

Fearful of Mare’s potential, the Silvers hide her in plain view, declaring her a long-lost Silver princess, now engaged to a Silver prince. Despite knowing that one misstep would mean her death, Mare works silently to help the Red Guard, a militant resistance group, and bring down the Silver regime.

But this is a world of betrayal and lies, and Mare has entered a dangerous dance – Reds against Silvers, prince against prince, and Mare against her own heart ...
I went into this book with pretty low expectations because I'd seen such mixed reviews of it. Some people whose recommendations I trust adored it, while others hated it...and I guess I see where both are coming from because my opinion falls somewhere in the middle.

I liked the characters and the story was entertaining enough, and the romance in the book (although cliche) was cute and fun to read. Plus, I really liked Victoria's writing.

The problem for me really was that the more the book progressed, the more it started to feel like a slightly varied mishmash of other popular YA dystopia novels and nothing really stood out as being unique to this book. Elements of it reminded me of The Selection, or The Hunger Games, or Divergent...which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just that it became predictable because of that and it never really felt like something new and fresh and original (which is possible to achieve even in a novel with a similar plot/premise to other books because it's the execution that matters more than the details).

I enjoyed the book while I was reading it though, but it was quite forgettable once I had finished it -- it didn't linger with me much really. And this review is turning out more negative than I intended considering I did like it...it's just easier to explain the things that stopped me from loving it.

Anyway, to sum up: In spite of its flaws, I enjoyed reading the book. I'd rate it 3 stars out of 5 and I'll definitely be picking up the next book.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.