Wednesday, 16 March 2016

Kindred Spirits by Rainbow Rowell

Kindred Spirits
by Rainbow Rowell


Summary: 'Everybody likes everything these days. The whole world is a nerd.'
'Are you mad because other people like Star Wars? Are you mad because people like me like Star Wars?'
'Maybe.'


If you broke Elena's heart, Star Wars would spill out. So when she decides to queue outside her local cinema to see the new movie, she's expecting a celebration with crowds of people who love Han, Luke and Leia just as much as she does. What she's not expecting is to be last in a line of only three people; to have to pee into a collectible Star Wars soda cup behind a dumpster or to meet that unlikely someone who just might truly understand the way she feels.

Kindred Spirits is an engaging short story by Rainbow Rowell, author of the bestselling Eleanor & Park, Fangirl and Carry On, and is part of a handful of selected short reads specially produced for World Book Day.
I don't normally review short stories on here, but it's so rare for me to find one that I like that I wanted to talk about this one. Plus, it was one published for World Book Day (is that just a UK thing?).

But yes... I loved this story so much. It was so cute (I was smiling nearly the whole time I was reading) and funny (quite a few laugh out loud moments) and it was just dfjghldkfhjg. It was perfect.

Normally I find short stories to be lacking. Like they're too short to flesh out the characters enough, too short to have a plot I give a damn about, and too short to make me really care...but this one, this one got it right. The characters felt real and I adored them and I actually cared about how it turned out (and I love that a minor character from her novel Attachments is in this!).

Then when it was finished, it ended perfectly. It ended just right, and it left me wanting more but in a good way -- not because it felt like the story wasn't enough as it is, but because it was so good that I couldn't help but want to read more about these characters.

So, basically, it turns out that I do actually like short stories, it's just a case of finding the right ones. Rainbow Rowell has yet to write a book that I don't adore and this little one was no exception. I'd rate it 5 stars out of 5, and I'm kind of hoping that Rainbow will decide someday soon that she needs to write a whole novel about Elena and Gabe.

Later.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read a Rainbow Rowell book yet, but this sounds adorable!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.