Wednesday, 23 March 2016

Sneak Peek Reviews: The Forbidden Wish, Glittering Court & Wink Poppy Midnight

I never used to bother much with pre-release sneak previews of books, mostly I just found them frustrating if I enjoyed the book then had to wait for the rest. But recently, because there are so many books I want to read, I've been reading more of the previews to help me decide if I want to invest my time in books I'm on the fence about.

So yeah... These will be mini-reviews of the most recent Netgalley sneak peeks I've read -- I'll just be giving my opinion of what I read and whether it made me want to read the whole book.

The Forbidden Wish 
by Jessica Khoury

Release Date: Already out
Length of preview: 8 chapters (out of 30 something? I think?)

My thoughts: This one had me totally hooked from the very first page. The characters are wonderfully complex and seem to walk the lines between good and bad, and they are fierce and likeable in spite of their flaws. And the story -- it's a story that so many of us know and love but it's told in a new and exciting way and I can't wait to read the rest of it, I've been pining for it since I read the preview.

I can already tell that this one will probably make my 2016 favourites list.

Overall: Skip it//Hardcover//Wait for paperback

The Glittering Court 
by Richelle Mead


Release Date: April 5th 2016
Length of preview: About a third of the book, I think? (11 chapters and I think there's about 30 in the whole book?)


My thoughts: I almost gave up on this one, because it bored me for the first few chapters and it didn't really demand my attention the way Richelle's Vampire Academy series did but I stuck with it and I'm glad I did because I actually really started to enjoy it. By the time the preview ended, I realised it had eventually managed to hook me. 

I loved the female friendships, those were maybe my favourite part of the book (Richelle tends to write female relationships really well in general). I wasn't fond of the setting/world (kind of alternate history? But with different names for countries and the religions changed up a bit?), but I have a feeling I'm going to really enjoy the rest of the book and I'm looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

Overall: Skip it//Hardcover//Wait for paperback (i.e. I'm not sure yet)

Wink Poppy Midnight 
by April Genevieve Tucholke

Release Date: March 22nd 2016
Length of preview: I'm not entirely sure? It was a lot shorter than the others, maybe only a few chapters? (I read some more on the Amazon preview because the Netgalley formatting was missing the PoV headers).

My Thoughts: Initially, I didn't like this because the characters were really awful (in the hard to like sense, not poorly written) and it seemed to be trying too hard to be whimsical and deep. But when I stopped being annoyed by it not being what I expected, I started enjoying it. I loved the writing and I loved that the characters were wonderfully weird and unique -- it definitely left me wanting more and it's one of the most interesting books I've read (or rather, partially read) in a while.

It has all the makings of a new edition to my favourites shelf, so long as the rest of the book goes as well as the preview did.

Overall: Skip it//Hardcover//Wait for paperback

And that's all, I guess. Are you looking forward to any of these ones/have you read any of them?

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.