Monday, 28 March 2016

Starflight by Melissa Landers

Starflight
by Melissa Landers


Summary: Life in the outer realm is a lawless, dirty, hard existence, and Solara Brooks is hungry for it. Just out of the orphanage, she needs a fresh start in a place where nobody cares about the engine grease beneath her fingernails or the felony tattoos across her knuckles. She's so desperate to reach the realm that she's willing to indenture herself to Doran Spaulding, the rich and popular quarterback who made her life miserable all through high school, in exchange for passage aboard the spaceliner Zenith.

When a twist of fate lands them instead on the Banshee, a vessel of dubious repute, Doran learns he's been framed on Earth for conspiracy. As he pursues a set of mysterious coordinates rumored to hold the key to clearing his name, he and Solara must get past their enmity to work together and evade those out for their arrest. Life on the Banshee may be tumultuous, but as Solara and Doran are forced to question everything they once believed about their world—and each other—the ship becomes home, and the eccentric crew family. But what Solara and Doran discover on the mysterious Planet X has the power to not only alter their lives, but the existence of everyone in the universe...
I...kind of don't have a whole lot to say about this book to be honest. It's one of those books that I really loved while I was reading it, but then within a few days my feelings had simmered down and then a few days later I almost forgot I read it at all.

That's not to say it wasn't a great book, it totally was and I can't think of anything particularly bad to say about it really -- it just didn't stick with me, my love for it didn't linger.

But anyway... It was a really enjoyable read. The plot could be predictable at times but it wasn't in a bad way and it had quite a few cute and funny moments. The book had a sort of Firefly vibe to it, but in a good way (in the character dynamics and some of the plot things -- although, I haven't read enough stories set in space to pick up on any tropes of the genre so it may just have been down to that).

The characters were my favourite part though, I really liked them and the relationships they had. And the romance in the book was one of my favourite kinds, where they start out hating each other then there's a slow burn that morphs grudging respect into friendship into something more. I am really looking forward to the next book and seeing the friendships and romances develop more.

Overall, I'd rate the book 4 stars out of 5. Definitely worth checking out.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.