Tuesday, 22 March 2016

Top Ten Books I Haven't Talked About Enough

I really like this weeks topic (Ten Books I Really Love But Feel Like I Haven't Talked About Enough/In A While), it reminds me of the #QuietYA thing Julie started. Plus, it gives me an excuse to explore my old favourites shelves.

There are so many books I adore that I probably talk about way too much, but I have so many favourites that I don't rec so much and I'm not sure why. I'm going to try to choose older/ones I don't hear much on twitter/blogs/tumblr in general. In no particular order:


You Wish by Mandy Hubbard:

This book is really adorable. The main characters birthday wishes start coming true on her 16th birthday -- it's just a really cute and fun and funny book (and Raggedy Ann and Ken are brought to life and become characters in the story, so there's that).



I don't remember much about the specifics of the plot, but I remember loving this book so much. It was different from all of the other vampire/paranormal romance type stories floating around at that time and it was so good.

Black Dove White Raven by Elizabeth Wein

I see Code Name Verity and even Rose Under Fire recommended a lot  and I recommend them a lot -- and rightly so, because they're fantastic. But this other book of her is fantastic too and I adored it. It's a historical novel set during a war in Ethiopia and it's about home and siblings and soulmates and what it means to be family and race, and it's beautiful.

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

This is the book of hers I see talked about the least, but I loved it. It was a really great book and it made me feel so 90's/early 00's nostalgic when I read it. It's set in 1999/2000 and it's about a guy who falls for a girl while reading her email conversations with her friend (which is part of his job). I loved the friendship between the female characters and the romance was really cute (which surprised me, because it should have felt more creepy than it was). 

Red Leaves by Paullina Simons

A lot of people disliked this book. Some, because they went into it wanting it to be like The Bronze Horseman -- it wasn't, not at all. But I adored it. The story revolves around this kind of incestuous screwed up group of friends at college in the time leading up to/the aftermath of the murder of one of them.

Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley

Really underrated contemporary. Fun cast of characters, lovely writing, adorable story.

Hourglass by Myra McEntire

I loved this one so much when it first came out. Well written, time travel, the cutest of romances and a main character I really liked. There was some buzz when it first came out, but I rarely see it mentioned now except by Julie sometimes.


Magical realism, beautiful story. I adore this book so much and I wish more people had read it. And yet I forget to recommend it a lot.

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

This was recommended by one of my favourite authors, Melina Marchetta, and it's so good. It's a really short high fantasy type story and it was so good -- I need to binge the rest of the series sometime soon.

Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause

An old but good one. I remember loving how the werewolf thing was done in this -- the story has very few things in common with the movie adaptation, the book is way less cliche and puts a lot of emphasis on the animal side of being a werewolf, which not many werewolf stories do (from what I've read/seen), they tend to be all about the ways they're


Have you read any of these ones? What'd you think of them? Or what are some of the books you don't talk about as much as you should?

Later.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.