Tuesday, 8 March 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Unpopular Character Opinions

I've not done a TTT for a while, but the topic for this week ("Ten Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get or Ten Characters I LOVE But Others Seem To Dislike") interested me, so...

Characters I Dislike
(but everyone else seems to love):

1. Severus Snape from Harry Potter

Now, about this one... I don't actually dislike him. I sort of love his character because he's interesting and complex and I appreciate that -- I just don't love his character in the way a lot of fans seem to. So many fans think some of his good deeds make him a good person, when they don't (especially considering the motivation for him). And they romanticize his character and his feelings for Lily when actually, his feelings for her were quite unhealthy, basically obsession. So yes, I don't get the way some fans love him.

2 & 3. Anastasia & Christian from Fifty Shades of Gray

Grouping these two together. And it might be cheating a bit to include them because a lot of people do hate them...but a lot of people love them too, so I'm including them. Basically, Christian is an abusive asshat and Ana is ridiculously bland and incredibly annoying (with the whole inner goddess nonsense and her constant misuse of the word subconscious). They're poorly written characters and their relationship romanticizes such harmful behaviours, and yet so many people love them both individually and together and I'm just here like "????"...

4 & 5. Ezra and Cassidy from Severed Heads, Broken Hearts (a.k.a. The Beginning of Everything)

I just didn't like these characters much at all, but so many people loved them and loved the book, which is fair enough but I just... No. I didn't like them because of reasons.

6. Nyx from Cruel Beauty

This book wasn't my cup of tea in general, but Nyx was a big part of the reason why. There were moments when I liked her, but in general I found her quite annoying? She was very fickle, which wasn't fun to read. But my issue was mostly with the way she was written, I'm fine with characters being hard to like because interesting is a higher priority for me than likeable (I did not find her interesting) and I'm fine with them being contrary or self-deprecating because that can be realistic but something about the way she was written just irritated me. I'm definitely in the minority though.

Characters I Love
(but everyone else seems to dislike):

7. Aelin from Throne of Glass

Her character gets a lot of love, but also a lot of hate, especially after people read past book two. I don't mind critique of the character, it's just that a lot of people seem to trash her character for anger over the Chaol or Dorian thing, and it roots back to shipper stuff. One of the things I adore about Throne of Glass is that it shows that people can get together, that they can love each other, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be forever. So I don't get it when people hate her character for changing, or for her priorities and feelings evolving with her.

8. Sansa Stark from Game of Thrones

I haven't actually finished the book, so this will be based more on the show...but yeah, I love Sansa. I didn't always love her, because of some choices she made in the beginning, but she quickly became one of my favourites. One of the things I like about Game of Thrones is that it shows female strength in different ways... Sansa isn't physically strong, she is the polar opposite of her sister, and she's not a born leader in the way characters like Dany are -- she loves pretty dresses and she'd rather dance at a ball than learn to use a sword and that's 100% okay. She's been through hell, she's survived in a toxic environment that so many people didn't, because she's smart and she's strong and she's fierce. So yeah, Sansa is awesome. And I'm annoyed at certain choices the show writers made for her.

9. Katniss from The Hunger Games

Again, she's one of the ones who gets a lot of love as well as hate. A lot of people dislike her because she's very introverted and she's not the typical heroine of a story like this. Normally, the hero is easy to like, normally they have a fire in them and they're burning for change...but Katniss, she was content with her life, so long as her sister was safe, she accepted things as they were. She made change happen, but that was never what she set out to do, she just got swept up into something bigger than herself -- but her sister was always her priority. Some people see her as selfish for that reason, but I liked her for that reason. I liked that she was a reluctant hero.

10. Charlie from Perks of Being a Wallflower

I actually didn't realise he was a character a lot of people disliked until I saw him on some lists then looked on Goodreads. Personally, I loved his character. He does some stupid things (as many people do when they're young) but his character was so realistic to me -- his experiences, his emotions, his mental illness... I could relate so much to it. It's one of the first books I read and I was like "Yes, that, that's exactly how that feels -- those exact words!" I think maybe to some people who haven't had similar experiences or issues in their life (or even if they had but it manifested differently for them) it might be harder to like him.

...And that's all. It's completely fine if you disagree with me on any of these (I'd love to know why? If you dislike characters for reasons other than reasons I've said, or if you like characters I dislike?). 

Later.

2 comments:

  1. I liked Katniss and I liked Celaena in Heir of Fire when she accepted her identity as Aelin and everything, but my lukewarm feelings towards her in Queen of Shadows wasn't anything to do with her romantic relationships and more to do with the fact that she'd forgotten everything that was good about her when she was Celaena.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/03/08/top-ten-tuesday-47/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, see that reasoning makes more sense to me. Most of the hate I've seen has been from shippers (especially Chaol shippers), it's nice to see someone who has a different reason even if I didn't interpret it in the same way. :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.