Wednesday, 30 March 2016

You Were Here by Cori McCarthy

You Were Here
by Cori McCarthy


Summary: Grief turned Jaycee into a daredevil, but can she dare to deal with her past?

On the anniversary of her daredevil brother's death, Jaycee attempts to break into Jake's favorite hideout—the petrifying ruins of an insane asylum. Joined by four classmates, each with their own brand of dysfunction, Jaycee discovers a map detailing her brother's exploration and the unfinished dares he left behind.

As a tribute to Jake, Jaycee vows to complete the dares, no matter how terrifying or dangerous. What she doesn't bargain on is her eccentric band of friends who challenge her to do the unthinkable: reveal the parts of herself that she buried with her brother.
Well then. My love for this book totally took me by surprise. Some reviewers I normally agree with said they weren't into it, so I lowered my expectations thinking that the stuff that bothered them would bother me too -- but it was totally unnecessary. I loved it, really loved it.

I loved the writing style -- it's one of those books that has little lines or passages that make you go "Yes, that! That's exactly how that feels!" when it's talking about things like grief or anxiety or love or growing up. It really got the balance right between the serious stuff and the humour. It made me laugh and made my heart ache and left me smiling at the end.

I really adored the creative way Bishop and Mik's POV's were done. Mik's were told in a sort of comic strip format and Bishop's were his short poems/art work, and it was just a really interesting way of showing their parts of the story and it suited their characters perfectly.

The characters in general really made the story. I loved them all, cared about them all, and I really liked the dynamics of their relationships with each other.

Basically, I just really loved this book. I read it on my Kindle, but it's one I will be buying a physical copy of because I need it on my shelves. It is definitely one of my favourites of 2016 so far, and I'm looking forward to reading whatever Cori McCarthy writes next.

I'd rate the book 5 stars out of 5.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.