Thursday, 2 June 2016

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

A Monster Calls 
by Patrick Ness 


Summary: The monster showed up after midnight. As they do. But it isn’t the monster Conor’s been expecting. He’s been expecting the one from his nightmare, the one he’s had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments, the one with the darkness and the wind and the screaming…

This monster is something different, though. Something ancient, something wild. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor.

It wants the truth. 
I feel like I'm in the extreme minority in being really underwhelmed by this book. I didn't hate it, I just didn't particularly like it either and it's one of those ones that left me a bit baffled by the hype about it.

I mean, it is a very aesthetically beautiful book -- I adored the artwork so much. But the story? It was well written but it was quite forgettable. It made me cry a few times, but that's purely because it was pushing buttons that would make anyone cry, especially someone who knows how it feels.

Maybe that was the problem for me though -- I know how it feels to lose a parent, I've been that kid, and I know how horrible cancer can be and this story? It was just another story about loss amongst thousands of other stories about loss and the only thing that stood out about it was the artwork while the story itself was just bland and didn't stand out as being better--or even as good as--most of the others I've read.

I don't have anything else to say about the book really. I'd rate it 3 stars out of 5 -- not good, but not bad either. But, like I said, I'm in the minority in not loving the book so I'd still really recommend checking it out and perhaps you'll find you're one of the many that love it.

It has been made into a movie though and based on the trailer, I think it might work better in that format seeing as its strongest point was the visual aspect of the book.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.