Wednesday, 27 July 2016

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas

A Court of Mist and Fury
by Sarah J. Maas


Summary: Feyre survived Amarantha's clutches to return to the Spring Court—but at a steep cost. Though she now has the powers of the High Fae, her heart remains human, and it can't forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin's people.

Nor has Feyre forgotten her bargain with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court. As Feyre navigates its dark web of politics, passion, and dazzling power, a greater evil looms—and she might be key to stopping it. But only if she can harness her harrowing gifts, heal her fractured soul, and decide how she wishes to shape her future—and the future of a world cleaved in two.
Sarah J Maas has thoroughly earned her spot on my favourite authors/insta-buy list in the past couple of years. I've yet to read a book of hers that I didn't love and this one -- this one might actually be one of my favourites to date.

I don't want to talk too much about the plot, because spoilers, but I want to talk about what it is I love about her books because she did those things particularly well in this book.

One of my absolute favourite things about her books is the way she writes romantic relationships. A lot of fantasy series (or YA/NA series in general) will have there be this one epic love story...that one couple, who, right from the start you just know they're going to be together. Even when there's a love triangle, you can still tell which pair will be endgame. But Sarah doesn't do that.

You don't always know which couples will be endgame in her books -- she shows really well that relationships can change and grow and that people can change and grow to the point where the relationship that worked for them before just doesn't anymore... and because of that, her character development in general is done really well because its not being held back by forcing a couple together that just don't make sense anymore.

And I love that she shows that love isn't always enough and sometimes love can be unhealthy, and she shows that there is a difference between being protective of someone because you love them and crossing a line to the point where protectiveness becomes possessive and controlling and mentally abusive.

I love that she writes female characters that are strong and independent but aren't afraid to be vulnerable and show when they need help. We women are often shoved into one of two categories: feminine or strong...and they're too often treated as mutually exclusive things when they're really not. Femininity is not weakness, so I love female characters that appreciate "girly" things while still being totally bad ass. Feyre is definitely one of those characters.

And I lovelovelove when an author changes my opinion of a character -- I did not expect to adore Rhysand but I really, really did. And Mor and Amren (and I loved the friendship group in this book too).

Basically...I loved this book. I'd rate it 5 stars out of 5. There were a few issues I had with it, but they were minor and were totally eclipsed by the stuff I loved.

Later.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.