Wednesday, 3 August 2016

Discussion/Review: Harry Potter & The Cursed Child

The discussion part of this is basically, if you've read it, what were your thoughts on it? Do you agree/disagree with my opinion? Let me know and we can discuss in the comments. :)

I actually wasn't particularly excited for the release of this book and I'm not sure why really. Maybe it's because, like so many fans, I want more Harry Potter but the "more" we have been getting isn't really what we had in mind and has usually ended up being a bit on the disappointing side. But, I did pre-order it in spite of not being swept up by the hype, and I read it in a couple of sittings throughout the day.

Surprisingly, I did enjoy reading it (low expectations may have helped). But beyond "it was - fun?" I have few positive things to say about it and a whole lot of negative. I think what the negatives boil down to really is that it didn't actually feel like I was reading an official Harry Potter story -- J K Rowling was involved in it, but that didn't show (I know she didn't write it, but it got her seal of approval and the play writer did get to talk to her). 

It felt very much like I was reading fanfiction. The plot was utterly ridiculous... It was fun and maybe it works better on stage than it does simply reading it, but it was just a really cliche story that any fanfic writer could've come up with (hell, I'm sure a few have written similar plots) and I expected more than that coming from something that J K Rowling helped to create. 

And the characters...the characterisation was very weak. At least, it was in the characters we're familiar with -- particularly Ron, his character was quite terribly written. None of them really felt like they had any of the spark or personality, beyond superficial stuff, of the characters we grew up with. 

The best character and the highlight of the whole thing was Scorpius -- his character was a little ball of adorable and I'd happily read more about him and his crush on Rose, his relationship with his dad and his friendship with Albus any day. He was the main reason I enjoyed reading this as much as I did. And I did like that a lot of fanon stuff kind of became canon in this (like the Scorpius/Rose thing and the Albus/Scorpius friendship and Draco teaming up with Harry & co.) but all of that just added to the fanfiction feel the whole thing had.

I definitely think it would be more enjoyable to watch on stage, because the fancy staging and the right atmosphere would take away from the amateur fanfic feel it had (and the fact that there are a whole bunch of important characters who don't even get mentioned in the story would work better on stage because you're so caught up in what you're watching that you don't really have time to process the gaps their absence leaves in the story).

So yeah, it felt like reading fanfiction. And I enjoyed it, because I love fanfiction. But I'm not gonna lie, I've definitely read better stories and portrayals of the characters in fanfics I've read over the years.

This review is a bit on the rambling side...but basically, if I was measuring this up against the original series, I'd rate it about 1.5 stars, but I was rating it purely on it being a fun reading experience so it gets 3.

What were your thoughts on it?

Later.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you! I adored Scorpius but the other characters were kind of silly and unfamiliar in this book. Let's talk about the trolley witch... What a joke.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.