Friday, 7 October 2016

Discussion (sort of): Books I Don't Want to Give Up On

Okay...so, I don't know if anyone has noticed or not (probably not), but I've been kind of MIA for the past month or so on the blog until this week. And it's not because I don't want to blog, it's more that I've been in one of the most frustrating reading slumps.

I keep starting books and even if I like them, I struggle to finish them. And so I keep starting new books, hoping they'll break the pattern but it's just led to there being this massive pile of half finished books that I can't seem to get through. Then there's other books I desperately want to read, but I don't let myself because I need to finish the half-finished stack and...and it's just really frustrating. And utterly ridiculous.

This post is basically just going to be a list of the books that I am currently stuck in various stages of reading. Books that I don't want to give up on, no matter how utterly frustrated I am by them, because I'm stubborn to a fault:

1. Nevernight by Jay Kristoff - This one...it's not bad. Far from it, but little things about it keep bothering me (like the footnotes - the rage I have over the footnotes is vast and completely irrational but I can't shake it). So I put it down and can't seem to pick it up again. But... but Illuminae was like that and I ended up absolutely loving that book, so I want to stick with it in case it's like that and he's just one of those authors whose books grow on me rather than being love at first page.

2. Remembrance by Meg Cabot - The Mediator series is...well, I love it. Really love it. And I was so freaking excited that we were getting another one and I haven't been so thoroughly let down by a book in a long time. I've dragged my way through less than a hundred pages of it and I've been feeling nothing but bored and annoyed, and actually pretty upset by something early in the book (and not in a way I should feel reading a book -- it's one of the first times I've ever been "triggered" by a book).

3. And I Darken by Kiersten White - I like the writing. I love the characters. But oh my god can this plot bore me to tears. I have so little interest in it that it's making it a struggle to get through...maybe it'll pick up pace later on but for now, it's just character driven for me and I'm so not in the mood for that. So I do want to finish it, I just can't right now.

4. On the Other Side by Carrie Hope Fletcher - I like Carrie's youtube. I liked the sound of the story (and it was a similar premise to one of my own so I was determined to check it out because of that too). But the book... I'm struggling with it. There are things I like, but the writing style is really not my cup of tea and it's kind of sickly sweet (so, subjective, not objectively bad) but I need to finish it. I dunno why, I just do. 

5. Wolf by Wolf by Ryan Graudin - I'd initially written this off as "interesting premise, but not for me" but then people were raving about it and it made me reconsider. So far, my initial instincts appear to be correct but because it's a book I was sent to review and because I want to see if it improves, I don't want to DNF it.

6. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott - I love the movie and more classics was on my reading challenge for the year. I've read some of this...it's an easy enough read, it's just quite boring and irritating in certain parts. The movie, in this case, is definitely worlds better than the book.

7. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr - I'm expecting this book to be wonderful, I've heard nothing but good things about it. But I have a feeling it's going to take a while to get into and so far it just hasn't hooked me yet.

8. Unnaturally Green by Felicia Ricci - This one is a short autobiography of an actress who played Elphaba in Wicked and I love musical theatre, I'm so fascinated by the behind the scenes atmosphere, and Wicked is one of my favourites. So, again, I was expecting great things. Started it about Christmas time last year...still have not finished it. But I will. I refuse to give up on it. 

9. Burial Rites by Hannah Kent - My problem with this one is kind of my own fault. I started listening to it on audiobook and I am so fussy with audiobooks. The narration is great, but I need to be in such a specific mood to listen to a book on audio. I have a physical copy, but I can't seem to transition between the two, so I'm stuck with the audio and it's taking forever.

10. Beauty Queens by Libba Bray - This one...it's...well, I actually started it ages ago. Like, well over a year ago and I didn't like it. But everyone else seems to love it. I'd given myself permission to DNF it but it's still been nagging at the back of my mind -- I need to finish it and see what all the fuss is about. This is the only one on the list that hasn't been part of my recent issue with being unable to finish books. 

Does anyone else have this same problem? Where you just can't stick with a book and the pile of unfinished ones just keeps growing and growing and the more it does, the worse your reading slump gets?

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.