Tuesday, 11 October 2016

Ten Books I've Read On Recommendation

Top Ten Tuesday topic this week:

All About Books You Read Because of Recommendation -- Ten Books I've Read Because Of Another  Blogger (Or Book Person) or Ten Books I Read On Recommendation From People Outside Of This Community or you could talk about recommendations of books you read from other sources -- a magazine, a podcast, a "because you read this" algorithm.

I'm going to go with the books I've read on recommendation from other bookish people (authors, writers, people I knew from fan forums, bloggers, etc.). 

Hell, I could have probably just named this post "I blame Julie" and came up with 10 books I've read and loved based on her recommendation (a few years ago, we did a "books my co-blogger forced me to read" challenge and I loved 3 of the 4 she chose for me - so I won't include those ones but if you want to check out what we made each other read, click the link), but I'll try to make my list a bit more varied. So:

(links will take you to goodreads pages)

Ten Books I've Read on Recommendation

1. Hourglass by Myra McEntire - I don't know why I've not read the sequel to this yet, because I loved it. I read it purely on Julie's recommendation because she loved it and raved about it for months (literally) before it was released.

2. Rebel Belle and Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins - These were both Julie rec's (and series I need to finish), and I loved them. They're such fun reads, especially Rebel Belle (and I love the way that one subverts a lot of girl stereotypes and tropes).

3. The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons - I don't remember who exactly recommended this one first. I know it was a booktuber but quite a few booktubers mentioned it round about the same time (it may have been Regan/PeruseProject?). I love this book so much. It's a love story set during the siege of Leningrad and if you're into romance or WW2 fiction...read it.

4. Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel - Rosiana Halse Rojas/missxrojas recommended this one. It's the book that made me realise how much I love magical realism and how much I craved books with more diverse cultures than the ones I had been reading. If you haven't read this one, please do, it's beautiful.

5. Peter and Alice by John Logan - This one is a play and it is so beautifully written. It's a fictionalised account of a real meeting between the real Peter and Alice, who inspired the title characters in Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland. This one was recommended by booktuber/author Jen Campbell. Her recommendations are excellent, she always recommends books that make me broaden my horizons and go out of my reading comfort zones.

6. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein - Book bloggers in general recommended this one. People were raving about it when it came out, so I stuck with it to the end even though I found the first half of the book a struggle to get through...and now it's one of my favourite books. I also wanna include Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak here, because it was the same thing with them really (although Fangirl was less of a struggle to get into).

7. Stolen by Lucy Christopher - This was recommended by someone on a livejournal writing community I used to be a member of and I absolutely loved it. We both loved a few of the same books so, even now, she's one of the handful of people whose recommendations I know I can trust because we have similar taste. If she says she loves a book, I know there's a good chance I'll love it too. 

8. Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta - I talk all the time about how she's one of my favourite authors and I am so grateful to the girl who introduced me to her books (via this one). There was a girl I used to talk to online back in the early Twilight days and we stayed in sort-of contact even after we both stopped going on the forum, mostly through Deviantart because we were both into writing and art. She was Australian and she posted a picture inspired by the book, titled it after it, and that got us talking about it. *shrug*

9. Eloisa James, and Sarah MacLean, and other regency romance authors - I blame Julie and the same girl who recommended Stolen to me. Their recommendations got me reading and loving regency romance and now I'm addicted.

10. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins - This one was actually recommended by John Green in a video and that's the main reason I picked it up. Not because he was the one recommending it exactly, but because the books had pretty terrible covers...very cliche and bland and I do sometimes judge a book by its cover. But the things he said when he recommended it convinced me there was more too it than the cover made it seem. And he was right. It was wonderfully written, great characters, and I can't think of anything I didn't love about it.

What's the best book you have read on recommendation?

Later.

1 comment:

  1. Yes to Stolen and Anna. Exuberant yes for Jellicoe. That book is so amazing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.