Tuesday, 18 October 2016

Ten Literary People I'd Name Something After

The topic of this weeks Top Ten Tuesday is Ten Characters I'd Name A Child/Dog/Cat/Car/Etc. After.

I really love this topic. I'm a bit obsessed with names...probably because I'm a writer, so names are important to me. If I can't get the right name for a character, I can't write the story. Hell, if I don't like the name of a character in a book I'm reading then that can totally influence my reading experience.


I'm going to do a mixture of things rather than just choosing one type of thing. And I'm making it "literary people" instead of characters because there's some author references on my list too.


1. Fitz from Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta - Choosing this one first because I actually have named a thing after him already. I'm one of those people that names gadgets and appliances (no clue why really) and Fitz is the name of the USB that I back up my most important files on (i.e. music and stories, mostly). My current phone may or may not be named Poe, as in Edgar Allen...



2. Hermione or Luna from Harry Potter - Grouping these together seeing as they're from the same series and I'd use the names in the same way: as either middle names for a child or cat names. Hermione has the added bonus of also being a name from Shakespeare's, The Winter's Tale and from Greek mythology.

3. And, seeing as I'm grouping series names together and I'm talking middle names: Isabella, Rosalie, Alice, and Jasper from Twilight -- purely because I love the names (I'd loved all but Rosalie pre-Twilight -- Isabella had actually been on my baby name list after my granny's sister, who died when she was only 11 of meningitis, but Twilight kind of put me off ever using it as a first name).


4. Eleanor from Eleanor and Park - I would totally name a little girl that. I liked the name, but my love for the book made me love it. And while we're on the subject of Rainbow Rowell? I used to not really like the name Georgie for a girl, but Landline made me sort of love it (especially when paired with a last name like McCool).


5. Auden, Halley, Remy from Sarah Dessen books - Sarah Dessen not only has a talent for writing wonderful contemporaries, but she also gives her female characters A+ names. I'd definitely name a kid after one of her characters.

6. Lochan from Forbidden - This one is an odd one. I adore this book and this character, but the subject matter is so taboo and heartbreaking that it makes my love for the name feel weird. But I do love the name and I would even consider naming a kid that. Maybe because I'm Scottish -- I'm not sure if Tabitha Suzuma made up the name, but it has a very Scottish vibe to it (if it's pronounced the way us Scots pronounce it -- LOCK-an).

7. Cosima from Orphan Black - Not a book, but there is a graphic novel/comic of the show, so it counts, right? I would love naming a cat Cosima. Or even a character or the middle name for a child. I love the name and love it even more because of the character -- she's nerdy and adorable and vkjlkfjv. If not Cosima, then Cosmic Creepers because of Bedknobs and Broomsticks...because I'm ridiculous. But that's not literary... Okay, I totally cheated with this one, didn't I.


8. Bronte or Alcott - I would absolutely name a cat one of those (I keep saying cat -- I don't actually have any cats, I have a dog, but something about the names just seem like cat names to me? And I would love to get a cat someday).




9. Elphaba from Wicked - It's really the musical I love, but it's based on a book and that book is based on a classic book, so it totally counts. This is another cat one -- I'd totally name a cat Elphaba/Elphie. And the author of the book, Wicked, came up with the name from the initials of The Wizard of Oz author (L. Frank Baum - LFB, el-fuh-ba).

10. Ponyboy or Sodapop from The Outsiders - I would definitely name a pet this. I did try suggesting the names to my best friend for her tortoise but her husband vetoed them (hasn't read the book), but he was named Darwin instead (as in Charles Darwin), which is awesome too. It would be quite ridiculous calling one of those names out for a dog, but I do like the idea of training a dog to respond to "Stay gold, Ponyboy" 

Honorary mention: Winifred/Winnie from Tuck Everlasting. I used to hate that name and it would just make me think of Winnie from Hocus Pocus (lovelovelovelove that movie, but not the best character to be thinking of when you hear a name), but Tuck Everlasting made me love it. I wouldn't inflict it on a child as a first name though, perhaps a middle name. Or a pet name (as in, name for a pet, not - a pet name for a kid).

There's so many other literary names I adore too but these are the first lot that came to mind when I saw the topic. What about you (assuming anyone is reading), what literary names do you like?


Later.

4 comments:

  1. Ahh I have an obsession with names too! I'll blame it on being a writer as well.😂 But names are AMAZING and I totally love your picks here! I think Bronte/Alcott would make amazing names. And definitely yes to Elphaba...my sister had a cat named Elphaba once! Also Hermione is like the best name but I think any kid who got named it would end up just being thought of as a Harry Potter reference.😂 It's so famous for HP! Here's my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the name Remy! Probably being bias because she is one of my favorite Sarah Dessen Girls! ;)
    My Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eleanor is one of my favorite names ever, and I love Georgie but I haven't even read Landline yet. Hermione is also super cute too, though I'd probably use it for a pet or even for a middle name it would be pretty. My TTT: http://glitteringreads.com/2016/10/18/ten-wonderful-names-i-might-just-use-for-my-future-cats/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how everyone is coming up with unique names. I love that you picked Sodapop and Pony Boy. I love the Outsiders! Here is my list http://videoclimbersvariations.blogspot.com/2016/10/top-ten-tuesday-ten-characters-i-would.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.