Friday, 2 December 2016

Dream a Little Dream & Dream On by Kerstin Gier

Dream a Little Dream
(& Dream On)
by Kerstin Gier


Summary: Mysterious doors with lizard-head knobs. Talking stone statues. A crazy girl with a hatchet. Yes, Liv's dreams have been pretty weird lately. Especially the one where she's in a graveyard at night, watching four boys conduct dark magic rituals.

The strangest part is that Liv recognizes the boys in her dream. They're classmates from her new school in London, the school where she's starting over because her mom has moved them to a new country (again). But what's really scaring Liv is that the dream boys seem to know things about her in real life, things they couldn't possibly know--unless they actually are in her dreams? Luckily, Liv never could resist a good mystery, and all four of those boys are pretty cute....
I'm reviewing the first two books in this trilogy together because I read them back to back, and because...well, I just don't have much to say about them.

I liked both books a lot, but the first book is better. The second feels very much like a filler book -- there is a plot to it, but it's one of those ones where the actual plot is overshadowed so much by the characters and filler stuff to the point where it feels like nothing much happens. The first book had more of a balance.

I really loved Kerstin Gier's Ruby Red trilogy and this series, while not quite as good, has a lot of the same elements that made me love that series. It's cute and fun, with a great cast of characters. I love the sibling relationships, I love that it shows step-families in a positive light instead of vilifying them the way a lot of stories do...the only thing that would make me enjoy it a lot more is to have more good female friendships, but I've seen reviews that promise the third book delivers on that.

My main issue with the books, although it doesn't bother me that much, is that the main character seems to have way more chemistry with her soon-to-be step brother than her love interest, especially in the second book (which I don't think was intentional, it might even be something that came across differently when it was translated to English from German). I'm hoping so much that that changes in the final book.

To sum up: these books are really fun, quick reads that make me laugh and smile, and I have high hopes for the third and final book which is releasing next year. Kerstin Gier is quickly becoming one of my go-to authors to snap me out of a reading slump (perhaps not a good thing seeing as I need to wait for her books to be translated from German before I get to read them).

I'd rate the first book 4 stars out of 5, the second 3 stars.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.