Friday, 30 December 2016

Top Books of 2016 (& Diversity)

This hasn't been a particularly good reading year for me. On one hand, I read more than 80 books, but on the other, I had many reading slumps, many DNF books (not included in my overall read count), and it just didn't feel like I read much this year. Maybe because there weren't many books out of the 80+ that wowed me.

But yes...of the books I read this year, these were the favourites. I'm also going to include a sort of diversity count/check at the end, because one of my goals for next year is to consciously read more diversely and I'd like to look back at this post next year to see if I've improved on that.

I'm going to break this down into categories...

Favourite Book of the Year:

When the Moon Was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore

This book was...wow. It's sitting on my all time favourites shelf right now, wedged between the likes of Melina Marchetta, Harry Potter and Code Name Verity. It's a beautiful story with beautiful characters and beautiful writing. I instantly bought the authors first book after finishing this one because if it's even half as good, it'll be amazing.

The Standalone Books:

You Were Here by Cori McCarthy

This one is a lovely little story about a girl dealing with the death of her older brother. One of the things that really made me love the book though was that two of the POV's were done using illustrations instead (one of them with graffiti/poetry, the other like a comic). It made it really memorable.

The Problem With Forever by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Jennifer L. Armentrout is just really great at writing addictive stories and good characters. This one is about foster kids and one of the main characters is dealing with PTSD and anxiety and I really loved it.

Exit, Pursued by a Bear by E.K. Johnston

This is a book about a girl dealing with the aftermath of her rape. It deals with abortion in a really positive way and it has A+ female friendships and parents who are actually present and part of the story. It should be noted that it's a very idealised story that won't be true for all victims of rape -- the main character is believed and supported by almost everyone, and any negativity towards her is shot down really well...that's often not the reality. But it's the way it should be, and it's an important story.


Landline by Rainbow Rowell

This one is probably one of Rainbow's most underrated books. It subverts gender roles, it's cute and fun and just...dflvlsjfbvkj. I had so much love for this story and these characters. And I loved the little Cath/Levi cameo.

London Belongs to Us by Sarra Manning

I was actually quite surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. London was practically a character
itself. It has French boys on mopeds and wonderful drag queens and a bad ass female character who realises that she deserves so much more than the crappy way her ignorantly racist, stuck up twat of a boyfriend treated her and it's just...I love the characters and the story was so cute and fun.

Chasing the Stars by Malorie Blackman

This book wasn't perfect, but it left me desperately wanting a sequel and incredibly disappointed that there doesn't seem to be one in the works so it deserves a spot on the list for leaving me wanting more even months after finishing the book. It's an Othello retelling set in space, where Othello is a teenage girl.

The New Series:


The Girl from Everywhere by Heidi Heilig 

Passenger by Alexandra Bracken

These two are odd, because they have quite a similar premise. Teenage girls time travelling to save their mothers, both partially set on ships, but the execution was quite different for each.

I enjoyed Passenger more while reading (it got 4 stars), but The Girl from Everywhere stuck with me more...it's one of those ones that got an average rating from me (3-3.5 stars) but I kept thinking about it and found myself desperate for the sequel.

Companion Novels:

Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys

Salt to the Sea is a companion novel to Between Shades of Grey, but it can be read on it's own. It's about the sinking of the Wilhelm Gustloff at the end of WW2, the worst ship sinking in history (nearly 9500 people died).

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

It took me such a long time to get into this book, but by the time I finished it I loved it -- mainly because of Baz (both his character alone and his relationship with Simon).

The Memoirs:

Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick 

Where Am I Now by Mara Wilson

I loved both of these. Anna and Mara are two wonderful human beings. Both of their books are honest and funny and feminist. Anna's has more focus on her adult life in the industry, while Mara's includes more detail about her childhood and what it was like to be a child star and dealing with the loss of her mother during that time and dealing with her own mental illness.

Picture Books:

Night Shift by Debi Gliori

This is one I was sent to review and it's beautiful. It's about depression and the illustrations portray depression as a dragon and it's just...it's sad and lovely and true. The book will be released in the UK on January 12th 2017.

Adulthood is a Myth by Sarah Andersen

And this one...again, kind of deals with mental illness. It's mostly about what it's like to be an adult and having anxiety and it's funny and so easy to relate to and I loved it.

Plays:

Peter and Alice by John Logan

I don't read many plays, but ones like this make me wish I did. It is such a beautifully written and heartbreaking story. It's about the real Peter and Alice, the children who inspired Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland. The two actually met once when they were adults, and this play is a fictionalised imagining of how that meeting might have went down. It was just lovely, and it weaves a lot of true facts about their lives into it that I didn't know (I didn't realise how much tragedy both had in their lives, particularly Peter).

Annnd that's all my favourites this year. What are your top books of 2016?

Diversity check:
Before I start, it should be noted that I have read other diverse books this year, it's just that not all of them made it onto my favourites list. And with this, some books will count towards more than one category:
Non-white MC: 6/16*
LGBTQIA+ MC: 4/16
Neuro-diversity: 7/16*
Jewish MC: 1/16
Disabled MC: 0/16
Own voices: 9/18**

Anyway... I can definitely improve on the diversity of my TBR next year. And I want to be able to include less general categories next year too (e.g. instead of simply "non-white" I want to break it down and be specific, and with LGBTQIA+ to break it down to specific identities, etc.).

Later.

*With these two, I've included two side characters (one who is a lesbian, one who has bipolar disorder), because while they're not the POV characters, the characters did play a huge role in the stories and those aspects of the characters are very much present on the page. They're exceptions, there are other books on the list with a diverse cast of side characters but I haven't counted those.

**The count could be higher than I've put, because it's harder to know for sure with some things (i.e. not all LGBTQ+ authors who write LGBTQ+ characters are out, or if they are they're not always vocal about it online...same goes for authors who write about mental illness).

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.