Friday, 24 February 2017

Buffering by Hannah Hart

Buffering
by Hannah Hart


Summary: The wildly popular YouTube personality and author of the New York Times bestseller My Drunk Kitchen is back! This time, she’s stirring up memories and tales from her past.

By combing through the journals that Hannah has kept for much of her life, this collection of narrative essays deliver a fuller picture of her life, her experiences, and the things she’s figured out about family, faith, love, sexuality, self-worth, friendship and fame.

Revealing what makes Hannah tick, this sometimes cringe-worthy, poignant collection of stories is sure to deliver plenty of Hannah’s wit and wisdom, and hopefully encourage you to try your hand at her patented brand of reckless optimism.
So... I loved this book way more than I thought I was going to. Not that I expected it to be bad, I didn't, but I'm not a major follower of Hannah's online. I watch some of her videos (and saw Camp Takota) but I don't follow religiously so I wasn't sure how interested I would be listening to her life story (and I guess I had a bit of an unfair preconceived opinion of "Youtube Books" -- which was one of the reasons I wanted to try one really).

Basically, I just got this one on a whim and I'm really glad I did.

She is an excellent storyteller -- both her writing and her narration (I listened to it on audio, which I highly recommend). And it wasn't anything like I thought it would be. Given that she's a Youtuber and a lesbian, I figured those would be the biggest aspects of the book, but they weren't.

I mean, they played a part (and were really interesting to hear about), but most of the story was about her life growing up and it provides good insight into what it's like to grow up with a parent who has a mental illness and the impact it can have on a child and the adult they become.

The book was ultimately more about family than anything else, and it really drives home the message that you can never really know what someone else is going through or what they've gone through.

Even if you're not familiar with Hannah Harts online presence, I still highly recommend this book. I'd rate it 5 stars out of 5.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.