Thursday, 23 February 2017

Let's Talk: Awesome Women in Non-Fiction

I seem to have this new obsession with reading/listening to non-fiction books by/about awesome women.

With the memoirs... It's so easy to measure yourself against the glittering, photoshopped, edited versions of celebrities and feel inadequate. But they're just people. Their anxieties and insecurities and struggles are just like ours. They have issues with mental illness and body image and self doubt, just like us. And they manage to be great in spite of those, so we can be too.

And with the biographies/historical non-fic... it's inspiring to read about the extraordinary lives so many women have lived, to read about the things they've endured and extraordinary things they've done and see the spaces they've carved out for themselves in history. To see all the ways things have changed for women...and the ways that they haven't.

And that's my rambling introduction to the list of biographies/memoirs of awesome women that are in my TBR (or on my wishlist). The ones in italics are the ones I've already read:


Yes Please by Amy Poehler
Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick
The Princess Diarist, Shockaholic, and Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher
Buffering by Hannah Hart
If This is a Woman: Inside Ravensbruk by Sarah Helm (currently reading)
You Can't Touch My Hair by Jessica Williams
Bloom by Estee Lalonde
Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh
Where Am I Now? by Mara Wilson
Forever Liesl by Charmian Carr
Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly
You're Never Weird on the Internet by Felicia Day
In the Country We Love: by Diane Guerrero
Unsinkable by Debbie Reynolds
Debbie: My Life by Debbie Reynolds
Nujeen by Nujeen Mustafa
Spy Princess: The Life of Noor Inayat Khan by Shrabani Basu
Spectacles by Sue Perkins
Seriously...I'm Kidding by Ellen DeGeneres
Talking As Fast As I Can by Lauren Graham
Unfilered by Lily Collins
Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth
The Places at the End of the World, Ghosts by Daylight Janine di Giovanni

Basically, women are fabulous and we can learn a lot from the ones who lived and grew before us, both  ourselves and about things outwith our realm of experience (e.g. I'm a white woman, I've never had to deal with the racism women of colour face but that doesn't mean I should be ignorant to it).

If you have any recommendations of other books that should be on my radar, let me know? (Especially if you have any recs of non-fiction books by transwomen because they're vastly underrepresented in my tbr).


Later.

p.s. anyone else notice a bit of a theme going on with the covers of memoirs?


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.