Wednesday, 26 April 2017

A Catch Up: What I'm Reading

Well then. Hello. It's been a while, hasn't it?

Honestly, I've just been struggling with the whole reading thing recently. I think I've only completed 9 books since March...and only two of those were actual novels (two were comics, two were really short picture books, one was a short audiobook, one poetry collection and also a short Shakespeare play). I just can't seem to focus. That, or the books I'm reading just aren't wowing me.

But yes. I'm in a reading slump. The most drawn out, frustrating reading slump. So I figured I'd just go over the books I'm currently (trying) to read and give my thoughts on them so far.

All pictures are from my bookstagram (that's where I post all of my new books too, if you're interested).

The Hate U Give 

I'm not very far into this one. I do like it so far, but I've not found that spark in it yet -- maybe it's just a case of there being too much hype so my expectations were through the roof. But, regardless of that, I do think it's such an important book and one everyone should read.


The Book of Bera 


This one... I had such high hopes for this one but I'm so disappointed so far. The story is very original, I haven't read any like it, there's something so distinctive about it. The problems are 1) the pacing is way off and 2) there's something about the writing I just really don't like. It reads almost like it's a translation that hasn't been done very well, if that makes sense (the dialogue in particular is clumsy and awkward). I'm going to give the book another 75-ish pages to sway my opinion before I give up on it.

See How They Run

This one isn't bad. It's fast paced, I still like the characters...the problem is, I've forgotten so much about the story (including minor characters) and I really don't want to go back and reread the first book to refresh my memory. Also, I'm not too keen on the direction this one is going in.


If This Is A Woman


This book is a bit different from the others, because I didn't intend to finish it any time soon. It's a non-fiction book about the all female concentration camp, Ravensbruck. It's very long and very thorough, going from how the camp came to exist and the Nazi officers that ended up working there, right through its entire history. I've just been reading bits of it whenever I'm up to reading about such heavy subject matter. It's excellent so far (excellent in the sense that it's well written, it's not boring as some historical non-fiction can be, given what it's about, the topic isn't what I'd call excellent).

My True Love Gave to Me

Short stories aren't my thing. I picked this one up because I figured short fiction could help with the reading slump, plus it has a lot of authors I adore in it... So far, I love it. But when it comes to short stories, they're either not long enough for me to feel invested in the story and characters or they do manage to hook me and make me care but then they're over too soon. With the majority of this book so far, most of the stories have been the latter...really good, but leaving me wanting more in that annoying, unsatisfied kind of way.



The Roanoke Girls

This one is actually an audiobook I was sent to review and I like it so far, the narration is really good, but I'm not hooked on the story yet and don't really feel anything for the characters so I'm kind of dragging my heels about finishing it. That's all I have to say on that one really.

Perfect Shot

I thought this one would definitely break my reading slump. Regency romance or short romcoms are usually my go-to books for reading slumps but this one is letting me down. It's just so bland/dry, the first chapters nearly bored me to tears. I'd give up on the book if it wasn't so short (hopefully it'll get better if I stick with it).

So...yeah. Those are the books I'm reading right now. I'm really hoping one of them snaps me out of this reading slump.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.