Friday, 28 April 2017

Mini-Review Round Up: Comics, Plays, Poetry & Other Stuff

Does what it says on the tin really... There's quite a few short books I've read the past few months that I just don't have much to say about, so I wanted to just write a few short reviews for them.

Plays, Poetry & Other Stuff

Teaching My Mother How to Give Birth by Warsan Shire:
Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5
Review: As I've said before, poetry is very hit or miss with me. This particular collection was a hit. There are parts of it that won't resonate with me in quite the same way because I'm a white woman in Scotland but even the parts that revolve around things completely outside of my realm of experience are written so beautifully and with such a raw honesty that I still felt it.

Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
Rating: 3.5 stars out of 5
Review: I don't know why it took me so long to read this one. Maybe because it felt like I already knew the story because of the countless adaptations I've read/watched. But I digress... I really like this play, I think on some level I even love it. The writing is beautiful, there are little passages in it that are absolutely stunning. I can get why a lot of people hate it, but I'm just not one of them (although, it irritates me to see people talk of it as a love story rather than a tragedy...it wasn't a story about love, and people talking about it like it is really warps peoples expectations of the play).

Macbeth by William Shakespeare
Rating: 3 stars out of 5
Review: I liked this one, it wasn't great. Plays are meant to be performed, but some can be enjoyed just as much by simply reading them...this isn't really one of those ones. It's not awful, but it's so obvious when reading that there's a spark of life missing from it on the page, something that can only be appreciated seeing it performed.

We Should All Be Feminists by Chimimanda Ngozie Adichie
Rating: 5 stars out of 5
Review: I really, really loved this one. It's an essay based on her 2013 TEDx talk and it's excellent. She writes real life stories as examples of her points and it's so poignant and beautifully done. I really recommend the audiobook version too -- the narration is fantastic.

Comics:

I actually got the first three at a comic convention, the first two were free comics in the little goody bag things, the third was one I bought from one of the booths.

Karnak #1 by Warren Ellis
Rating: 3 stars out of 5
Review: This one is set in the SHIELD world, and while I am familiar with some of that world, I don't think I was familiar enough with it to really appreciate this comic. I did like it and I was interested enough to consider continuing on to the next issues but it didn't wow me Time will tell if I continue the series.

Star Wars: Vader Down #1 by Jason Aaron
Rating: 3 stars out of 5
Review: Kind of disappointing, I think I just expected too much considering it's a Star Wars story. The art work is excellent and there was a few really good bits, but it didn't really leave me wanting to pick up the next issue.

How to Be a Ghost by Neil Slorance and Campbell Miller
Rating: 5 stars out of 5
Review: This one isn't really a comic, it's more of a short picture book/zine type thing. But anyway, I really loved it, it was so cute. I've linked to the etsy store if you want to check it out/buy one.

Vader's Little Princess by Jeffrey Brown
Rating: 5 stars out of 5
Review: I read Darth Vader and Son last year and loved that one too, they're just really cute and funny. They're basically just little comic strips about what Darth Vader could've been like raising Luke and Leia (this one focuses on Leia).

Picture/Kids Books:

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Rating: 4 stars out of 5
Review: I don't have much to say about this one really, except I wanted to see what all the fuss was about and it didn't disappoint me. It's really cute...and now I kind of want to see the movie, I had no desire to before reading this.

The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams Bianco
Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5
Review: Again, wanted to know what the fuss was about and I really loved it. It's one of those stories that I've heard so many people mention but it was never one I encountered when I was young, it wasn't what I expected it to be but it was really good.

Princess Smartypants by Babette Cole
Rating: 1.5 stars out of 5
Review: I stumbled across this one while trying to find feminist picture books when someone asked for recs and it sounded great. In theory, I should've loved it. The overall message was good but the execution of it was kind of terrible. It was more feminist stereotype than feminist. It was supposed to be about how she doesn't need to get married to be happy...but rather than just using her words, she is really cruel to people who have done nothing to deserve it and she "outsmarts" her parents rather than just having an actual conversation with them. It's just...eugh. And I wasn't really fond of the artwork either.

So...those are all of the short books I've been reading. Mostly because, due to my major reading slump, short books seem to be all I can finish recently. Although, there will probably be more picture books in my TBR because my best friend is having a baby, so I want to find some good ones for the new little human in my life.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.