Tuesday, 22 August 2017

Final Girls by Riley Sager

Final Girls
by Riley Sager

Summary: Ten years ago, college student Quincy Carpenter went on vacation with five friends and came back alone, the only survivor of a horror movie–scale massacre. In an instant, she became a member of a club no one wants to belong to—a group of similar survivors known in the press as the Final Girls. Lisa, who lost nine sorority sisters to a college dropout’s knife; Sam, who went up against the Sack Man during her shift at the Nightlight Inn; and now Quincy, who ran bleeding through the woods to escape Pine Cottage and the man she refers to only as Him. The three girls are all attempting to put their nightmares behind them, and, with that, one another. Despite the media’s attempts, they never meet.

Now, Quincy is doing well—maybe even great, thanks to her Xanax prescription. She has a caring almost-fiancĂ©, Jeff; a popular baking blog; a beautiful apartment; and a therapeutic presence in Coop, the police officer who saved her life all those years ago. Her memory won’t even allow her to recall the events of that night; the past is in the past.

That is, until Lisa, the first Final Girl, is found dead in her bathtub, wrists slit, and Sam, the second, appears on Quincy’s doorstep. Blowing through Quincy’s life like a whirlwind, Sam seems intent on making Quincy relive the past, with increasingly dire consequences, all of which makes Quincy question why Sam is really seeking her out. And when new details about Lisa’s death come to light, Quincy’s life becomes a race against time as she tries to unravel Sam’s truths from her lies, evade the police and hungry reporters, and, most crucially, remember what really happened at Pine Cottage, before what was started ten years ago is finished.
I was so excited for this book as soon as I heard about it. I'm a big fan of 90's slasher movies, and seeing a book that revolved around the final girl trope? Definitely on my insta-read list. Unfortunately, the book was kind of a let down. It wasn't bad, I did like it, it just didn't hook me the way I expected it to.

The main problem was that the story progressed at a snails pace. It was pretty boring for large portions of the book. I went into it thinking it was going to be this gripping, thriller read but most of the story was pretty much just the main character in her apartment barely interacting with anyone or doing anything besides baking.

The story didn't start to pick up and deliver the kind of story the summary implied until maybe 80% into the book...and that bit was exciting, it was fun to read, but it was also quite predictable. I'm fine with predictability in this sort of book, but because I'd guessed all of the twists long before they were revealed it meant that the reveal didn't really make up for the story being bored through the first 3/4's of the book.

The characters were interesting, but also really annoying. There wasn't really any of the main cast that I particularly liked or any relationship (friendship or otherwise) that I felt invested in (except for one that I can't mention because of spoilers).

This review is way more negative than my overall opinion of the book, because in the end it definitely wasn't a bad book. Even the bits that bored me weren't bad, it just wasn't what I was expecting...it felt more character driven than plot driven, and I was reading for the plot. That's why the book gets only a 3 star rating from me but it's definitely worth checking out, especially if character driven stories are more your thing.

I'd definitely be up for reading more books by Riley Sager, I'd just go into them with different expectations than I did with this one.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.