Tuesday, 24 October 2017

Top Ten Unique Book Titles

The topic of this weeks Top Ten Tuesday is pretty self-explanatory really, so let's just jump right in.

I love book titles. I have been swayed into buying a book or even put off buying a book, purely based on the title before. I write too, so I know how difficult it can be to find something that is unique and something that fits the story, and how good it feels when you come up with the one that is just right.

I'm not sure if all of these are necessarily unique book titles, but they do stand out to me as distinctive and memorable. I've noticed (many people have probably noticed really) the book title trend in YA over the past few years...they all tend to follow the same kind of pattern, and it's made titles that used to seem unique and beautiful all kind of blend together and become easy to mix up.

But these ones, I think, are still holding their own (though not all YA and not all recent). In no particular order:

1. Like Water for Chocolate - I'm pretty sure this is an expression that makes more sense untranslated (or at least when you understand the origin of it), but I still love it as a title even if I don't really fully understand it. 

2. The Beginning of the World in the Middle of the Night - This one is just so satisfying to say, almost tongue twister-y and poetic. It's like two unrelated sentences have been smooshed together and it leaves me wanted to pick up the book to find out why, why that title, what's the context. And even if it turned out to be just a pretty, quirky title, with little or no relevance to the book I'd like it still...for being a pretty, quirky title.

3. Exit, Pursued by a Bear - This one is perfect. It puts a more sinister twist on the famous Shakespeare stage direction, when you have the context of the story. 

4. Strange the Dreamer - Strange the title. I don't know why I love this one, but I really love it. It stuck in my head like a catchy song I can't stop singing. Laini's titles are awesome in general, Daughter of Smoke and Bone would've made the list but that kind of title is trendy now.

5. Eyes Like Stars/Perchance to Dream/So Silver Bright - I love the titles in this series. I love titles that are taken from quotes and these ones are catchy, memorable, and fitting with the story.

6. Turtles All the Way Down - John Green's titles in general are all pretty worthy of being on the list. They're all pretty memorable and distinctive and the titles usually tie in really well with the content of the book (although in this case, probably not literally). I've never heard a title like this one, it's odd and kind of beautiful in it's oddness. 

7. They Both Die at the End - I haven't read the book yet, so I don't know if it follows through on delivering the spoiler promised in the title, but it's a damn good title. Spoiling the end in the title? I love it. Especially given the context (how hurtful the Bury Your Gays Trope is), I don't know if Adam was deliberately confronting that trope with the title, but even if he wasn't, it still does it wonderfully.

8. There's Someone Inside Your House - This one. I don't like it as a title really, but I also kind of love it? It's odd. I think I love it because it reminds me of a scene from one of the only horrors to genuinely freak me out (if you're curious: When a Stranger Calls). It's wonderfully creepy and not the usual title style of horror novels.

9. Moxie and Illuminae - I'm lumping these two in together, because my reasoning for both is the same. In case it wasn't obvious from my list so far, one word titles aren't my thing. I like long titles. But these two, they've used words that fit their books, that are distinctive and not commonly used, and they're also ones that just...satisfying to say? 

10. You Can't Touch My Hair by Phoebe Robinson - This is the lone memoir on my list, but it's definitely one of my favourite memoir titles ever. I love that even if someone doesn't choose to read her book, she still manages to confront an aspect of racial ignorance with the title alone. 

Do you prefer long titles or short?

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.